Muscat, 1 Dec (ONA) – The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Water Resources signed five agreements with local investors today for investment in the farming sector.
The agreements cover the exploitation of an area of 1.47 million square kilometres to the tune of RO 3.58 million. They were signed by Dr. Saud Hamoud Al Habsi, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Water Resources.
The minister said that the agreements constitute the third batch of projects emanating from the Food Security Laboratory. They were outlined as follows:
1. Desert Oasis project worth RO 751.000 for non-traditional vegetables, fruits, field crops and cereals (100 fedans in the Wilayat of A’Suwaiq for the production of 2700 tons a year of figs and field crops). It was signed with Al Ramooz National Group of Companies.
2. Greenhouse farm project worth RO 280.000 for the production of 1,200 tons a year of fruits and vegetables (50 fedans in the Wilayat of A’Suwaiq).
3. A project worth RO 300.000 for the production and marketing of bananas in A’Suwaiq. It was signed with Al Mokhtar International Trading and Contracting Company. (50 fedans, to produce 1,500 tons a year).
4. A project worth RO 1.3 million for the setting up of a ‘tourist farm’ on an area of 100 fedans (to produce 3,200 tons of fruits and vegetables, 60 tons of fisheries a year).
5. Chicken moms raising farm project worth RO 950.000 signed with Al Fanoos Company, Barka. (Area 50 fedans, production 40,000 a year).